Butterscotch Fluffernutter Bars


Butterscotch Fluffernutter Bars
I made these, having never tasted them before, for the gang at work the other day and I may have created some monsters in the process.  Because of the toasted marshmallow center, I thought they would be best transported if I wrapped them, individually, in plastic wrap.  I made my rounds to the offices, handing them out, and telling people to save them for lunch.  Several people immediately pressed them to their noses and died right there on the spot at the amazing scent combination to peanut butter, chocolate, toasted marshmallow, and butterscotch.  Funeral services will be announced, later.  One person had the nerve to ask where I bought them.  The rest consumed them, immediately, causing what I'm sure is an incredibly unhealthy and unnatural spike in blood sugar.  One by one they drifted into my office commenting on how good they were and that they wanted to eat more if I had them.  It's like The Walking Dead up here but instead of human flesh, they want Butterscotch Fluffernutter Bars.  I'm telling you this as a warning that you may encounter such a reaction if/when you make these.  Consider yourself warned.

Ingredients
1 package peanut butter cookie dough
5 cups rice krispie cereal
1 bag of mini marshmallows
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
4 tablespoons butter, room temperature
2/3 cup corn syrup
1 bag butterscotch chips
generous pinch of salt

Coat a 9"x11" pan with a non-stick spray (or use parchment paper) and press cookie dough into a thin/level layer.  My cookie dough came in little bricks.  I pressed them, by hand, individually to a thin layer.  Bake according to package directions.  Once baked, immediately add mini marshmallows to the top of the dough and let continue to bake approximately 5-7 minutes or until the marshmallows have begun to puff up and slightly brown.  Remove from oven and let cool.

Meanwhile, in a big sauce pan, melt butterscotch chips, corn syrup, butter, pinch of salt, and vanilla extract.  Keep stirring so nothing burns on the bottom.  Once smooth and all contents have melted together, add cereal and stir until well coated.  Spoon cereal mixture on top of marshmallows and try to create a solid layer.  This is difficult because they do not spread.  Rather, they flop and stay put.  When I made them, I put one big spoonful down and then, with hands sprayed with non-stick spray, tried to smooth it out.  Spoonful.  Smooth.  Repeat.

Let cool until well hardened, cut into individual portions.



Comments

Popular Posts