Sunday, November 4, 2007

"JESSE'S FAVORITE SOUP"

Christie sent me this recipe just this week and I've already made it. Steve and I both liked it alot but I knew it was a winner when I served it to the N crew tonight and the grandsons ate seconds and thirds. Little Miss T even ate a hardy amount but that was on my lap and with the promise of a Reese's Cup after the soup was gone. I also made the family favorite Sunday night biscuits with homemade strawberry freezer jam. Soup and biscuits are hard to beat. P.S. There were no leftovers from dinner tonight!!!

Jesse's Favorite Soup AKA Chicken Soup with Lentils & Barley

1 c chopped onion
1/2 c chopped sweet red pepper
1 large clove minced garlic
2 T butter (I used no butter just Pam spray)
2 (14.5 oz.) cans chicken broth (I used fat free)
1 1/2 c water
1/2 c lentils washed and drained
1/2 t each basil, oregano & rosemary
1/4 t pepper
1 1/2 c chopped cooked chicken
1 1/2 c chopped carrots
1/2 c quick cooking barley
1 (14.5 oz) can chopped tomatoes

1. In sauce pan cook onion, sweet pepper & garlic. I first sprayed the sauce pan with butter flavored Pam, added the vegetables and sprayed the vegetables again. It worked fine and omitting the butter made it healthier.
2. Stir in broth, water, lentils, basil, oregano, rosemary, black pepper. Cover & simmer 20 minutes.
3. Stir in chicken, carrots & barley. Cover & cook additional 20 min.
4. Add tomatoes and heat through.
Serves 6
Note: I cooked chicken breasts the night before for this recipe and used that cooking broth as part of the broth needed in the recipe.

5 comments:

go boo boo said...

Thank you! Yeah, now I have my weekly soup picked out.

Trevlyn said...

Me too! Actually we might have it tonight! :) Thanks for such a yummy evening!

Christie K said...

This is a great soup! Glad you all enjoyed it! We also will be making it soon. Jesse does love it so.

MarySue said...

In my enthusiasm I hope I didn't step on toes Christie since this was your recipe. Glad we're all sharing more. Loves.

MarySue said...

P.S. Depending on budget and your time, you could use a store bought roast chicken and really speed up the prep time here. Just a thought.